SPRING COLLAR SALE: 15% OFF ALL COLLARS• USE PROMO CODE: COLLAR15 • THROUGH 4/5
Dog Leash Safety Tips: 6 Great Reasons To Always Use A Dog Leash
Cool Dog Leashes and Dog Collars make your dog look his or her best. Even upscale, designer brands have become affordable and some, like the Lupine line, even come with a lifetime guarantee.
The most important thing to remember about dog collars and leashes are that they can save your best friend’s life. This article offers dog leash safety tips and advocates always using a dog leash and collar unless you and your dog are in a completely enclosed area.
A Dog Leash Can Save Your Best Friend’s Life
With leash laws in effect for most city environments, it is common to see most dog owners walking their dogs on a leash, and for good reason. Keeping your dog on a collar and leash combo is not just good fashion sense: it’s the law. Dog leash laws protect both the dog and the dog owner from unexpected accidents. And let’s face it: you may have your dog under control, but are you 100% confident that the person walking towards you with two dogs off-leash has his dogs under control?
As one ventures out of the city and into the suburbs one finds more dogs roaming off-leash (and many are unsupervised). In rural farm areas, it is very common to see dogs that do not even have collars, let alone leashes. While it is true that many dogs have been properly trained to avoid the busy roads, stop and wait for their owner at corners, and even return to their side at command, there is always the chance (no matter how slim) that a dog will chase a rabbit, deer, or bicycle into harm’s way. Simply put: the safest way to walk your dog is with a durable Dog Leash and Dog Collar.
Most Dogs Love Collars and Dog Leashes
Most dogs take to their collars and leashes almost immediately. Puppies can easily be trained to like their collars by introducing them right before meals and taking them off shortly after. You can gradually increase the amount of time your puppy wears her collar, and before you know it, she’ll feel naked without it.
6 Great Reasons To Always Use A Dog Leash
Here are the top reasons we advocate that all owners use dog leashes and collars:
- Leashes prevent your dog from chasing animals, people, or bikes.
- Its courteous to your neighbors, especially if they do not know your dog’s level of obedience.
- A single lost dog is one too many.
- When used properly, most canines don’t mind dog leashes or collars, in fact most like them.
- You can pull your dog back to protect them, should there be something dangerous in the environment.
- A dog leash could save your dog’s life.
Dog Leash Safety Tips
When using a dog leash, here are some safety tips to keep in mind:
- Use a leash that is the correct size for your dog. Smaller dogs need thinner leashes with smaller hardware, while large dogs may require leashes of a slightly thicker width.
- Never pull or drag your dog with a leash. If he is reluctant to come, simply backup & call his name in a happy voice.
- Yanking or jerking a dog leash can injure your pet, especially younger pups and senior dogs.
- If your dog likes to pull, consider using a no-pull harness, such as the popular SENSE-ation Harness for dogs.
- Keep your leash in good shape. If the snap seems unstable or broken, replace it immediately.
Dog Collars & Leashes: Use Them, Don’t Lose Them
Despite many tales of dogs finding their way home when lost, it is certainly not the norm. Having a missing dog is a heart wrenching experience. We wish your dog the healthiest and safest life possible. Please use a Durable Dog Collar and Dog Leash combo whenever possible.
Now, who wants to go for a walk? Woof!